Rippling and Stroking, formerly known as Plucking
This video demonstrates subjects from my book 'Guitar playing and how it Works'. Read samples and BUY the book
Some of the topics covered in this video:
- Plucking' is not a terribly useful concept on the guitar. Why? Because it suggests certain approaches to moving which are not helpful.
- Move one finger and all the fingers move. Fingers all move together.
- Fist to fan.
- Take as long as you need!
- Think "Stroking" and you will get a lot more colours from the strings.
- Energise the strum with rasgueado.
- Apply the ripple movement to the strings.
- Loop the ripple to create a continuous sound. In practice" the thumb helps out.
- REST between repetitions to avoid injury" and CONSCIOUSLY relax between movements.
- Easier at medium / fast tempos. At slower tempos it becomes a different movement and you may as well use the thumb!